Sunday, January 29, 2012

My new treasure

Several years ago my sister Vanasa, bought me a vintage Empire deluxe microscope, with 750X magnification and light (made in Japan). The 8 inch microscope came in a leather carrying case with 6 glass slides, a spatula and a probe.  Now, as cool as the microscope was, it is the leather case that has always thrilled me.  It is as if a person would say, I think I will take my microscope with me when I go to Grandma's house, and it is a good thing I have a leather case to protect it!"  The microscope (in the case) has been displayed tongue-in-cheek on a shelf at work in remembrance of the slides I viewed in biology, genetics, and anatomy as I worked my way through academia and into an amazing career in health science.

You can imagine my excitement when last month a patron walking past my pseudo scientific display stopped and said, "I have a microscope that would look good on that shelf, can I bring it in for you? The microscope that was given to me is dated around the turn of the century (circa 1900) made of black metal and brass measuring 14 inches and weighing over 10 pounds-I am a little disappointed it didn't come in a case :-) but it looks amazing displayed with my other treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment