Thursday, July 14, 2011

Emerson Garden

The first zucchini of the season!

As the story goes, at the end of summer last year, Scott realized that I enjoyed gardening far more than he did, and offered to lease me his garden spot for $1 per year. Truth be told, I would have paid much more money for the opportunity to play in the dirt (but don't tell him). The garden sits on the south side of his Sugarhouse bungalow, raised 2 foot with landscape timbers.  It measures 25 x 10 foot and comes with the companionship of Lola, a very friendly Springer Spaniel. 

I planted herbs: anise, chocolate mint, basal, and a plant the nurseryman identified as curry which smells good as a potpourri but is inedible.  I planted vegetables: pumpkins, kale, radish, tomato, and zucchini.  And to tie everything together I planted a wide variety of flowers: african daisies, columbine, echinacea, sunflowers, sweet william, marigolds, calla lilys, and some alyssum.

As with all gardens, the view in the early morning hours as the plants struggle to find the days sunlight is amazing; here is a look at the garden today and while I am very proud of the view from the back porch, I am already looking forward to removing, rearranging, and reconsidering this years plant choices in next years plantings.

No comments:

Post a Comment