Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A letter of Discontent

Dear Spoons and Spice:

I am not a happy consumer today.

Last week I searched several department stores looking for a thermometer for the vaccine refrigerator at work....on my way back from an eye appointment in Draper I wandered into Spoons and Spice in Sandy, after-all what better place to find one but a kitchen supply store. I paid cash for a $14.99 thermometer and considered myself lucky to have found something that would work.

As I was walking into work yesterday I ran into my boss who informed me that the store had some extra thermometers in the storeroom I may want to consider, and you guessed it, I found a thermometer that would work. I consider a return of merchandise and remembered that the contacts I ordered were ready for pickup today so stopping at Spoon and Spice for a refund on the way home would be very convenient.

I returned the thermometer in the original, unopened package, within a week of purchase with the receipt and was told the store policy was: NO CASH REFUNDS. So I told the employee I would happily take a credit on my cash card, and was told that I could exchange it for another $14.99 product or accept a store credit. I could not think of anything I needed and chose the store credit.

I was given a 5 X 7 hand written form that I was instructed to bring back when I wanted to redeem. I was sternly warned that if I lost the form, I would receive nothing, and I couldn't help but wonder how many times the store associates gave this bad news to previous customers. I also couldn't help but wonder how a business can expect to survive in this very fierce economy with policies so adverse to its customers. Ever hear of a gift card??? I, for one, will not be patronizing this business in the future.

1 comment: