Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Book Suppository



A good friend suggested we make some time to visit the Texas Book Depository during the whirlwind trip to the Yellow Ribbon Experience in Dallas this weekend so of course the minute I mention my intent to Nicolas he begins to call it the 'Book Suppository' (ya gotta love a kid with a sense of humor!)

The Sixth Floor Museum was AMAZING! and while I was initially concerned about taking the time for the 45 minute audio tour....in the end I truly appreciated Nicolas and Bart's patience in indulging me with museum time.

As I heard the gunshots ringing in my ears and saw the black and white photographs of Jackie attempting to crawl out the back of the convertible to summon help for her mortally wounded husband, I felt a deep reverence for the sacrifice the Kennedy's made for our country.  Later in the exhibit I saw the infamous photo that has given me so much strength in the last few years. In the photo Jackie is standing at the funeral draped in a black veil, with her two young children at her side.  She is standing firmly, shoulders squared, chin held high, she is the epitomy of grace admits a world of chaos, and someone I hope I can continue to emulate throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment