Sunday, April 7, 2013

An empty nest

Sometime last week Ashelyn showed up at my house with a stack of boxes and proceeded to pack my son into cardboard cubicles. As painful as it was to watch, I'm not holding this against her....in fact, I realize that my pain is her joy and I guess deep down inside it is my joy as well.

In 'The Poisonwood Bible' the author notes that 'a Mother will always mother their youngest child' which may be why a part of me wants to resist my son moving out. A far more acceptable reason is that I know that my ability to mother Nicolas ended about the same time Nicolas realized his Mother needed mothering. It will be hard for me to live in that world where my son isn't constantly worrying about his mother.

Yet, Ashelyn has proved to be a wonderful companion to my son, and tonight as she began moving the boxes to the truck I couldn't help but feel a little jealous of her. And as I thought of my son returning from a year long military deployment to a home that Ashelyn has so carefully prepared, I couldn't help but feel a little jealous of Nicolas, as well.

An empty nest might refer to the bedroom your child leaves behind, but it in no way describes how your heart feels when you see your child step into their new and wonderful life.  Somewhere admits all these tears I am happy for the two (three) of them.  Ashelyn needs the support of her husband and Addalyn needs her father at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment