Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cable woes, et al

I've begin making those dreaded correspondences to ensure that the utilities and such here in Salt Lake are terminated and that any of the business' I am associated with will know I am living in Cedar Hills.

The worst phone call by far was the one to Comcast.  To begin with, even when successfully navigating the phone tree, it is difficult to get someone on the phone to take this request.  When I finally was able to tell Shaniqua that I wanted my service disconnected her response was, "If you don't mind me asking, why would you want your service shut off?" I told her I was moving and her response was, "won't you need the service in your new place?" to which I firmly stated, "I'm moving out of the area" to which she replied, "to somewhere without cable????" When I said yes, she asked, "do you know of anyone who will be living at unit #312 who will want this service?" No, No, No, please just turn it off. And yes, you can email me a copy of my final bill and no, I am not providing you my new address.

Ok, one down. Next Questar, then Rocky Mountain Power, the post office and my church.  On June fifth I informed my landlord that I would not be renewing my lease which is due to expired on July 31st. I explained to him that I would be out sometime early July and suggested he begin showing the unit as quickly as possible to secure new renters. I received from him a stern email reminding me that July's rent was due in full July first regardless of the day I choose to move out and that although I paid first and last months rent upon moving in and a $1250.00 security deposit I was in no way allowed to use any of those monies for the rent in July.  All of which I was already aware of, I too have a copy of the contract.

I wonder if it occurred to my landlord that I could have paid July's rent as planned, moved out when convenient, allowed the contract to expire and let him find out for himself the unit was vacant sometime after August 5th when the new rent became past due.  And here I was just trying to be nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment