Friday, May 18, 2012

Day One

Having been delayed at the Dallas/Forth Worth airport, We arrived at Heathrow at 8am to find we missed our connection to Nairobi. With a 12 hour layover ahead of us, we made the most of our day by storing our luggage at the airport and buying a pass to the Underground.

Having travel mates that can navigate London was a great trial run for my layover at the end of the trip. Emily was able to explain to us how the subway gates and platforms worked and successfully got us off the tube at Green Park Station so we could take the short walk to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and the Thames.

Having received a sense of how the city was laid out and a general idea of how far major landmarks were in walking time versus how far they looked on the map was invaluable. With one day of sightseeing completed, I believe I will be able to venture out much further than originally planned, the city proved very easy to travel.

The best part of missing the connection was that we were rerouted on Kenya Air, by far the best airline anywhere. Since it was 10 pm local time (6am Utah time) I immediately settled in for sleep, which made the 8 hours flight very enjoyable. When I awoke I found out the stewards packed me a sack lunch since I missed the in-flight meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment