Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day Ten

We were invited to attend the Christian Fellowship Church and it was nice to see the Headmaster at the secondary school was a member of the congregation. I was somewhat surprised that after traveling quite a far distance on mud rutted roads and through a shanty town that our driver told us we would have to get out and walk the remaining distance. I did not want to walk! I was in American Eagle flip flops and the road smelled like urine mixed with garbage and marked with large mud puddles everywhere. I am quickly understanding that clean feet are a rarity in Kenya.

The meeting house was a tin building measuring about 50 x 100 feet with dirt floor and rows of plastic lawn chairs. We were seated in the front of the congregation and immediately I noticed that on the walls white lace table clothes were hung on the walls and white doilies were placed at various places on the pulpit. I was very moved by the hospitality of the parishioners and the spirit of fellowship I received while in their mists.

Throughout the worship service the subject of charity was discussed many times and the work our non profit had done in the community was brought to light. The congregation was told that each person paid their own way and I did a quick calculation and realized that my trip had cost 380,000 Kenyan shillings (remember that a bricklayer makes 300 shillings a day) yes this venture had come at a considerable cost.

The doctrine preached out of the Kenyan bible contained God the Father and his son Jesus Christ. A story was shared of a person at Heaven's Supermarket who picks up a basket and begins put stuff in it, then puts even more stuff in the basket, immediately they realize how much it will cost them and they begin to become worried. Just then their Savior appears and says, 'My child, shop anything in this supermarket, I paid for it on Calvary.' This story demonstrates their belief in a redeemer who will rescue them from the bonds of this earth, similar to the belief I have in my Savior.

Our day ended at the west end of Lake Naivasha with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a view of the Pink Flamingos that are so common to the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment