Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day Three

In my last trip to Kenya, I had a Matatu driver tell me, 'Africans are a Christian people' and as today is the Sabbath day I was happy that the itinery included worship services. We traveled about 20 minutes northeast to a borrowed meeting room which was hosting a tiny 'group' of Africans meeting in the name of Jesus Christ. The unofficial number of members of this 'group' is 65 including a pair of missionaries from New York and Uganda, and couple missionaries from Ogden, Utah, so when our white faces joined the sea of black faces we quickly became one homogeneous unit. My heart was tender when I learned that this unit was formed only five months ago and as the names of six male members were read for sustaining in the Priesthood I could not help but feel humbled in the midst of this blessed people.

The ward choir presented several hymns and the words spoken over the pulpit were very timely and appropriate. We gathered after the meeting for soda and biscuits in hopes of extending our love to these saints and I was asked many times about what the Church was like in Salt Lake and how long I have been a member, eventually the ordination was conducted for the brethren receiving the priesthood.

I tired as the congregation continued to press us to 'tarry a little longer' and it was very clear that they were not wishing us to leave even as the event ran over 4 hours in length. We stopped by a building under remodel that will act as a branch meeting house once the membership becomes large enough to sustain such an organization, and I was left with a feeling of gratitude for the opportunity I have to worship in such ideal conditions.

After a quick Sunday afternoon nap we walked down to Lake Niavasha in hopes of catching a glimpse of the many hippopotamus that live in the area, and although the wildlife was scarce, we did see the area where 'Out of Africa' was filmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment